This position is a temporary position with full-time hours between now and anticipating to end September 6th.
The Unit Coordinator is the first person most patients encounter when entering the hospital. This position is responsible for admitting patients to the emergency department and inpatient services. They function as the hub of the emergency department and nursing department through order entry transfer arrangements, admission, discharges, follow up appointments and their overall functions as a liaison between the nursing department and all other departments/contract services at Gunnison Valley Hospital. The Unit Coordinator position includes additional responsibilities of orientation of new employees and generation of various reports. . This position routinely interacts with patients and their families, hospital staff, and the public. This position has the ability to instill confidence in the team through technical expertise, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a professional appearance and approach.
Education: High School education or equivalent
Experience: Previous hospital experience preferred, Knowledge of medical terminology required, Experience with computers, fax/copy machines, telephone etiquette, paging systems, cellular phones an data base systems preferred,
• Facilitator for ED, Critical Care, Med/Surg and Obstetrics departments.
• Plans, organizes coordinates and schedules procedures and treatments as well as the activities for the nursing departments, physicians and patients.
• Maintains and prepares confidential documents and records. Creates and maintains patient charts for ER, Med/Surg. OB's, OBS, SB, Surg, and ASurg.
• Maintains daily census, ER logbook, patient reports, and admission volumes.
• Performs all non-clinical duties for admission, discharges and transfers
• Training on ready-op for Trauma level 1 and 2 alerts reporting times and arrival of departments.
• Registers all ED patients, all direct admission to the hospital responsible for registering all outpatient procedures/order between 2000 and 0700 weekdays and weekends.
• Reviews the daily census, , the surgery schedule, makes sure the brain is updated and printed for the AM and PM shifts and reflects any surgery patients /OB patients being admitted to the floor.
• Logs all EMS calls and alerts all ER staff of the outgoing call.
• Works with the Case Manager to ensure the accuracy of the status assigned to patients in a bed.
• Communicates clearly, directly and professionally with lab, radiology, dietary, rehab, and environmental services to coordinate patient care and carry out physicians orders
• Answers phones for nursing department, takes messages and pages appropriate parties as needed, Calls for outside Doctors, Functions as the hospital Switchboard operator on weekends and after 1700 on weekdays. Maintains proper phone etiquette at all times
• Facilitates patient transfers through receiving hospitals, med-evac systems and receiving physicians, Facilitates Mental Health transfers, including Cobra forms, ensuring MH consult notes and M-1 paperwork are in chart. Assists on obtaining transportation for such transfers. Assists in arrangement of discharge needs for patients such as follow-up appointments, home therapy and scheduling of follow –up diagnostic procedures.
• Responds to all patient inquiries in a timely and professional manner to ensure patient satisfaction. Understands and demonstrates initiation of MCI, HaZ-Mat and Pandemic disaster protocols. Participates in drills and emergency response training. May be called in for GVH disaster response
• Demonstrates a positive attitude and maintains a positive working relationship with staff, management, and vendors to ensure the admissions goals are optimized and that good working relationships are cultivated and retained. Function as liaison between facility and contract personnel, ie, pastors, mental health, visiting physicians, law enforcement and dispatch.
• Demonstrates leadership behaviors In training and mentoring of new Unit Coordinators, ensuring that procedures are followed correctly. Works closely with ER Director to make changes to the position when necessary through participation on appropriate teams and workgroups.
• Follows HIPPA protocols, Health information services policies as well as the policies set forth by the nursing department.
• Demonstrates ability to handle stress and at times, very graphic traumatic and emotional scenes. May assist nursing personnel with transporting patients via wheelchair and/or gurney.
• Other duties as assigned.