Triage MA/LPN - HOSP GVH Family Medicine
Gunnison Valley Hospital
HOSP GVH Family Medicine
- CPR or BLS (Basic Life Support)
The Triage MA/LPN is responsible for triaging incoming calls for clinical guidance and judgement under direct guidance from our Medical Providers within GVH Family Medicine. This position will work closely with the front desk to triage patient requests for appointments and/or clinical advice for treatment options. . This position must have exemplary customer service and clinical knowledge in order to gather key information over the phone. This position is responsible for greeting patients with use of AIDET, reviewing patient records and/or assigning tasks to Medical Assistants and Providers, collecting patient medical history, patient follow up via phone calls and electronic routes. The triage MA/LPN will be cross-trained to perform front desk and clinical duties as needed for coverage purposes. This position will be located in the GVH Family Medicine Lab and will be responsible for preparing lab specimens to ensure specimens are labeled correctly and coordinate pickup with GVH Lab.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Previous family practice, clinic or hospital experience preferred. EMR experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology required. Excellent communication, customer service and organizational skills required. Experience with computers, fax/copy machines, telephone etiquette.
Licenses/Certification: Maintenance of current CPR or BLS. Active Medical Assistant Certification or LPN License.
- Projects a professional manner and image and complies with organization dress code.
- Accountable for keeping current with hospital policies and procedure changes as evidenced by reading and signing off posted policies.
- Maintains attendance and punctuality.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Wears identification badge while on duty 100% of the time according to hospital policy.
- Appropriately disposes of sharps, prepares tools to be sterilized, works with medical equipment in general.
- Demonstrates ability to present ideas and information in a concise, effective and interpersonally appropriate manner through written and oral forms.
- Demonstrates the ability to take responsibility and ownership for the outcome of all actions and decisions with particular emphasis on customer satisfaction and fiscal performance.
- Demonstrates the ability to support and implement effective change in order to enhance organizational performance.
- Demonstrates the ability to work toward a shared purpose or goal by collaborating, partnering, or cooperating with others.
- Records complete and appropriate information in patient charts regarding symptoms, drug allergies, current medications and dosage.
- Performs point of care tests such as EKG's, Urine HCG (pregnancy test), blood sugar, urinalysis, hemoccult, peak flow and nebulizer treatments (as needed)
- Coordinates the flow of patients in the examination and treatment areas to ensure efficient use of the facility and the physician (as needed)
- Provides meticulous follow-up with patients regarding test results and progress-checks as directed by the physician.
- Completes specimen handling, processing and paperwork for send out tests, such as; pap smears and cultures.
- Covers various other Medical Assistant positions when they are out on their break or lunch time.
- Performs various clerical functions as assigned by the Practice Manager including assisting other departments as necessary.
- Triaging patient phone calls. Retrieves messages from voicemail and addresses them by calling the patients back and taking care of their requests on a daily basis.
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Patient Liaison - This position is instrumental in helping patients feel at ease in the physician's office and often explain the physician's instructions.
- Participates in drills and emergency response training
- May be called in for GVH disaster response.
- Other duties as assigned.