Work Hours: M-F 8 to 5
POSITION PURPOSE (Summary)
The Self-pay Specialist is responsible for handling patient responsibility balances and patient questions regarding outstanding patient balances. Other duties include monthly follow up calls to patients for outstanding balances, updating information in CPSI, regenerating claims when new insurance information is available and verified, updating patient demographic information, setting up payment plans and any other duties required to obtain a positive patient satisfaction outcome. The Self-pay Specialist will communicate in a compassionate and professional manner with patients and other hospital staff.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: BiLingual (Spanish/English) Applicants Highly Preferred. Healthcare experience preferred
- Observes professional ethics in maintaining confidential information concerning the personal, financial, medical, or employment status of a patient of GVH and their families.
- Maintains accurate account information at all times by documenting all actions taken to resolve the account in assigned software systems.
- Contacts insurance companies, managed care networks, organizations, patients, and/or employers to verify denied or paid claims for accuracy when needed.
- Accepts incoming patient calls, makes outgoing calls, and sends patient correspondence as required.
- Ability to explain insurance benefits, deductibles, co-insurance, and discounts to patients either in person, via mail or over the telephone.
- Educates patients on the financial policies of the hospital and directs them to appropriate resources as necessary.
- Accepts patient payments in person or over the telephone.
- Verifies contractual adjustments on accounts are accurate per the hospital's contracts.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, the PFS Department, and other departments to ensure the patient receives excellent customer service.
- Communicates customer service issues to the Revenue Cycle Director in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Provides feedback to the Revenue Cycle Director to ensure the department processes are continually improving.
- Participates in drills and emergency response training.
- Demonstrates motivation and accepts other duties as assigned by the Revenue Cycle Director.
- Participates in drills and emergency response training
- May be called in for GVH disaster response
- Other duties as assigned.