Medical Assistant - Family Medicine Clinic- $3k Sign & Stay Bonus
Work Hours: M-F 8-5pm
$3000 Sign N Stay BONUS!
The Medical Assistant is one of the first people most patients encounter when entering Gunnison Valley Family Medicine and thus exemplary customer service is expected at all times. This position is responsible for greeting patients with use of AIDET, assigning and escorting patients to rooms, collecting patient medical history, point of care diagnostic testing, patient follow up via phone calls and electronic routes. Medical assistants are cross-trained to perform administrative and clinical duties.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.Graduate of a certified Medical Assistant program within 1 year of employment and pass certification exam. (GVH will financially support MA education for employee.)
Experience: Previous family practice, clinic or hospital experience preferred. EMR experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology required. Excellent communication, customer service and organizational skills required. Experience with computers, fax/copy machines, telephone etiquette..
Licenses/Certification: Maintenance of current CPR or BLS.
- Projects a professional manner and image and complies with organization dress code.
- Accountable for keeping current with hospital policies and procedure changes as evidenced by reading and signing off posted policies.
- Maintains attendance and punctuality.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Wears identification badge while on duty 100% of the time according to hospital policy.
- Appropriately disposes of sharps, prepares tools to be sterilized, works with medical equipment in general.
- Assesses inventory, orders and obtains supplies with approval from family medicine physicians using process outlined by Materials Management.
- Demonstrates ability to present ideas and information in a concise, effective and interpersonally appropriate manner through written and oral forms.
- Demonstrates the ability to take responsibility and ownership for the outcome of all actions and decisions with particular emphasis on customer satisfaction and fiscal performance.
- Demonstrates the ability to support and implement effective change in order to enhance organizational performance.
- Demonstrates the ability to work toward a shared purpose or goal by collaborating, partnering, or cooperating with others.
- Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
- Prepares patients for physician evaluation by interviewing patients regarding reason for visit, taking and documenting vitals (pulse, temp, B/P, height and weight).
- Records complete and appropriate information in patient charts regarding symptoms, drug allergies, current medications and dosage.
- Performs point of care tests such as EKG's, Urine HCG (pregnancy test), blood sugar, urinalysis, hemoccult, peak flow and nebulizer treatments.
- Coordinates the flow of patients in the examination and treatment areas to ensure efficient use of the facility and the physician.
- Provides meticulous follow-up with patients regarding test results and progress-checks as directed by the physician.
- Performs general cleaning duties, including but not limited to restocking drawers and treatment trays in and around Medical Assistant areas, and treatment rooms on a daily or on an as needed basis.
- Completes specimen handling, processing and paperwork for send out tests, such as; pap smears and cultures.
- Covers various other Medical Assistant positions when they are out on their break or lunch time.
- Performs various clerical functions as assigned by the Practice Director including assisting other departments as necessary.
- Triaging patient phone calls. Retrieves messages from voicemail and addresses them by calling the patients back and taking care of their requests on a daily basis.
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Prepares and submits prior authorizations.
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Patient Liaison - Medical assistants are instrumental in helping patients feel at ease in the physician's office and often explain the physician's instructions.
Compensation: $17.00 - $21.25/hr, depending on experience.
Medical, dental, vision, health care FSA, and dependent care FSA: All active employees working 40 or more hours per pay period are eligible for benefits on the first of the month following date of hire. PRN staff are not initially eligible for benefits, and GVH follows all Affordable Health Care Act Eligibility guidelines.