Echo Tech (PRN)
Work Hours: M, T, W, TH or F Varied
Provides comprehensive diagnostic cardiac services to inpatients and outpatients upon request of a physician and under the supervision of the Cardiopulmonary Director. Possess and demonstrates knowledge and skills in arenas of echocardiogram and vascular diagnostics, including ABI testing. In addition, maintain the skill of cardiovascular stress testing and 12-ECG administration. Is also required to assist in new employee orientation and training. May be involved with community education and diagnostics in the cardiovascular field.
Education: High School Diploma required. Graduate of an ARDMS approved Sonography school required.
Experience: Minimum 1 year experience of Echocardiography experience. Preferred 3 years experience.
Licenses/Certification: Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer required. Registered Vascular Sonographer preferred. Current BLS required, ACLS within six months of hire. Preferred 12-lead EKG Interpretation Certificate.
· Prepares for examinations by checking equipment and inventorying and restocking supplies, reviewing patient schedules, reading physician orders for specific examinations, setting up recording equipment, entering patient information into system.
· Reduces patient anxieties by explaining procedures, answering questions, providing assistance to examination table or treadmill.
· Obtains quality images by positioning and repositioning transducer, monitoring display screen, listening to signals, adjusting equipment for beam strength and focus, detecting artifacts that mimic abnormalities, recording images.
· Records examination information by printing graphics and data, calculating measurements of heart wall, chamber size, and blood flow direction and velocity, comparing measurements to norms.
· Protects patients by adhering to safety policies and protocols.
· Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations.
· Possesses and demonstrates knowledge and skill in areas of diagnostic service such as: Electrocardiograms, Cardiac Treadmill Stress Testing, and Holter Monitoring.
· Involved in community education and diagnostics to improve the services of the Cardiopulmonary Department of GVH.
· Demonstrates ability to present ideas and information in a concise, effective and interpersonally appropriate manner through written and oral forms.
· Demonstrates the ability to take responsibility and ownership for the outcome of all actions and decisions with particular emphasis on customer satisfaction and fiscal performance.
· Demonstrates the ability to work with others toward a shared purpose or goal by collaborating, partnering, or cooperating with others.
· Organizes patient care and develops appropriate priorities.
· Performs all diagnostic procedures according to established departmental policy.
· Recognizes changes in patient's physical and mental condition and takes appropriate action.
· Responds appropriately in emergency situations.
· Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff.
· Develops a patient education plan based on educational needs.
· Evaluates the effectiveness of teaching by patient/family statements and behavior.
· Utilizes opportunities for informal patient/family teaching.
· Uses equipment properly and safely, demonstrates ability to operate and troubleshoot monitoring equipment.
· Participates in drills and emergency response training
· May be called in for GVH disaster response.
· Other duties as assigned.
Compensation: $35.39/hr - $42.47hr, depending on experience.
PRN staff are not initially eligible for benefits, and GVH follows all Affordable Care Act Eligibility guidelines.