Director of Nursing - Senior Care Center
Work Hours: M-F, On Call rotation
This position is being recruited for via a retained search firm. All direct applications will be forwarded to our partner, Quick Leonard Keifer.
The Director of Nursing is a member of the Leadership Team of The Senior Care Center and reports directly to the Administrator. This position's primary purpose is to plan, organize, develop, and direct the overall operation of the Nursing Department in accordance with current Federal, State, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations governing our facility, and as directed by the Administrator, to assure that quality care is provided within budget on a daily basis and that the nursing department is maintained in a clean, safe, and sanitary manner.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from an approved professional nursing school required. Masters of Science in Nursing preferred. Additional education in Healthcare Administration also preferred.
Experience: Must have as a minimum, five- (5) year's experience in a skilled nursing facility, or other comparable position in nursing management.
Licenses/Certification: Must possess as a minimum a current Colorado license as a Registered Nurse
- Must be knowledgeable of nursing practices and procedures, as well as the laws, regulations, and guidelines governing nursing functions in our facility.
- Responsible for hiring, training and evaluating staff in accordance to facility policies and procedures.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the Nursing Department, its activities and programs. Activities and programs includes but is not limited to, Direct Nursing Care, MDS, Staff Development, Infection Control, Quality Assurance, Interdisciplinary (Care Team) Team, Psychotropic, Falls, Wounds, etc.
- Must maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, etc., and maintain the appearance of nursing service areas, must perform regular inspections of nursing service areas for sanitation, order, safety, and proper performance of assigned duties
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principals and be willing to incorporate them into existing department practices.
- Develop methods of coordination of nursing services with other resident services to ensure the continuity of the residents total regimen of care.
- Perform administrative duties such as completing necessary forms, report evaluations, studies, etc., to assure control of equipment and supplies
- Determine departmental staffing requirements necessary to meet the Nursing Departments needs, and assign a sufficient number of Nursing personnel for each shift. Recommend to the Administrator the number and level of Nursing Personnel to be employed.
- Develop work assignments and schedule duty hours. Delegate administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability to other Nursing personnel as deemed necessary to perform their assigned duties.
- Make rounds during normal working days to assure that nursing personnel are performing required duties, and to assure that appropriate nursing procedures are being rendered to meet the needs of the facility.
- Monitor absenteeism to ensure that an adequate number of nursing service personnel are on duty on all shifts.
- Participate in the interviewing and selection of residents for admission to the facility
- Review nurses notes to ensure that they are informative and descriptive of the nursing care being provided and that they reflect the resident's response to the care.
- Serve as the facility representative in working with attending physicians to ensure they record and sign progress notes, physicians orders, etc., on a timely basis and in accordance with current regulations. Report to administrator and assist in dealing with physician issues.
- Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to assure that medications are being administered as ordered and that treatments are provided as scheduled.
- Authorize the use of restraints when necessary and in accordance with our established policies and procedures.
- Develop and participate in the planning, coordinating, and scheduling of timely in-service training classes that provide instruction on "how to do the job" and ensures a well educated Nursing Department.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an effective orientation program that orients the new employee to the department, its policies and procedures, and to her/his job position and duties.
- Assist other departmentst in developing, implementing, and conducting in-service training programs that relate to the nursing department.
- Assist the Infection Control Designee in the development, implementation, and revision of written aseptic and isolation techniques.
- Oversee the Certified Nursing Aide training program, ensuring that instructor and material are performing in a manner consistent with federal and state rules and regulations.
- Develop a written nursing plan of care (preliminary and comprehensive) for each resident that identifies the nursing problems/needs of that resident and the goals to be accomplished for each nursing problem/need identified.
- Assist in the scheduling of care plans and assessments to be presented and discussed at each committee meeting.
- Ensure that all personnel are aware of the care plan and those care plans are used in providing daily nursing services to the resident.
- Assist in preparing and planning the department's budget for equipment, supplies, and labor and submit such to the Administrator for review, recommendations, and approval. Operate department within annual budgeted amounts.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Provides direct nursing care as necessary. Is willing to work beyond normal working hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Collaborates with other departments in the delivery of care for the residents. Works in other areas as needed. Participates in the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) and attends and contributes to the care plan meetings. Will complete all MDS information in a timely manner.
- Participates in the Performance Improvement activities of the organization and attends and contributes to the Quality Assurance Committee.
- Responsible to attend and contribute to SCC Leadership Team Meetings and other meetings/committees as directed by Supervisor.
- Responsible to attend workshops as directed and will actively seek out and recommend professional development opportunities. Will implement information obtained from workshops/professional development opportunities into department.
- Represents The Senior Care Center in a professional manner (with residents, families, visitors, surveyors, etc.).
- Conducts regular staff meetings and provides in-service material on a regular basis to staff.
- Actively provides recommendations to the Administrator on opportunities for improvement in the Nursing Department, as well as the overall organization.
- Responsible for keeping current with regulations pertaining to nursing department.
- Is willing to work beyond normal working hours, on weekends, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
- Review and assist in developing a plan of correction for activities deficiencies noted during the survey inspections and provide a written copy of such to the Administrator.
- Assist in the development of departmental policies. Responsible to review and maintain the departments policies, procedure manuals, job descriptions, etc., at least annually for revisions, and make recommendations to the Administrator.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an effective orientation program, in coordination with the system-wide orientation program, that orients the new employee to the department, its policies and procedures, and to her/his job position and duties.
- Participates in drills and emergency response training
- May be called in for SCC disaster response.
- Other duties as assigned.